In response to a thread on sleep problems I wrote the following advice. Occasionally I return and add more items:
Let’s fix sleep with science.
- Put these blue-blocking sunglasses on before bed. [amazon link] . That will allow your brain to get sleepy. These are better than most on the market and they only cost ~$8. By the same token, you should not be looking at blue screens at night.
- Stop drinking coffee. Some people take 36 hours to metabolize caffeine. Seriously.
- Try a home remedy of decaf tea with 2 tbsp apple cider vinegar and 1tbsp honey 20 minutes before bed. [reference]
- Throw some money at the problem. Here’s a sleep aid used by Navy Seals: http://www.docparsley.com/ . Use discount code ROBBWOLF.
- Set your bedroom temp to 65-67 degrees.
- Take a shower before bed, alternating hot and cold water every minute for about 10 minutes. End with cold. This is a potent circadian rhythm stimulus.
- Read fiction before bed. Obviously, using dimmed lights and wearing the blue-blocking sunglasses.
- If waking up in the middle of night due to stress, take PS 300mg before bed. [amazon link] [reference]
- If waking up in the middle of the night due to unconscious movement, sleep in a military crawl, on your stomach with one knee angled out to make it hard for you to rock back and forth in your sleep.
- Take Glysine supplements. https://youtu.be/iQtJ0KDaij4